Commonwealth Remote Areas 4WD – 2 Day Duration
Federal agencies engaged in service provision in Outback areas to indigenous communities and elsewhere have special OHS&W concerns, especially where they don’t have their own dedicated vehicles and are flying in to jobs and relying on hire vehicles to get them to the coalface. Our 2-day Remote Areas program looks long and hard at the special risks this poses and offers a proven formula to ensure a safe working environment.
The Power Point theory session completely details the vehicle’s attributes and its weaknesses, looks at the fit-out of a typical hire vehicle and identifies where you should be wary and what to ask for. In addition we’ll cover the driving risks where the roads and tracks travelled are likely to be basic and more often than not, slippery, either due to weather events or the type of materials used in its construction. Use of 4WD will be encouraged as well Defensive methods of braking and vehicle handling. The practical sessions take drivers from whatever skills level to a new confident high, with development at a rate you’re comfortable with.
We’ll set aside time for a mechanical awareness workshop and show you how to avoid a back injury when changing a flat tyre, as well as maintaining the vehicle in its optimum condition for the journey. Both bitumen and dirt skills will be developed and refined practising life-saving techniques that are designed to keep you safe and productive. Self-reliance is a key, and the newly learnt skills will take the nervousness out of any journey. Courses are regularly scheduled and are transportable to your site if preferred (minimum numbers apply). You’ll be assessed on two levels, via your practical skills demonstrated on the day and a post-course theory assessment.
- Learn all about the featured technologies of your vehicle – ABS/ETC/VSC (where fitted)
- Develop a checklist of RISKS to avoid whilst behind the wheel
- Drive defensively and adopt policy recommendations your organisation may have mandated
- Maintain vehicle in accordance with your pre-start and post-drive requirements
- Learn to drive efficiently and safely
- Gain essential confidence in difficult terrain
- Become self-reliant and independent
- A 4WD vehicle in good condition, load secured and with a full tank of fuel
- If you haven’t got a vehicle we can arrange a hire 4WD from our preferred hire vehicle partners, POA
- Your lunch and drinks or you can elect to buy lunch at the lunch stop
- Clothing appropriate for the forecast conditions and closed footwear
- Hat, sunscreen and sunnies
- $830 per person (ex-Adelaide)
- Discounts may apply to group bookings, POA
- Add regional delivery fees (where applicable)
Locations and Times
- Refer to calendar for dates, courses scheduled regularly ex-Adelaide
- Meet at, 45 North East Road, Collinswood (at bus stop 12 heading out from city) from 7.45am on
- Session commences at 8.00am and concludes around 5.30pm each day
Course Code For Booking