First Time Out – 1.5 Days Duration
If you’re a new or novice 4WD driver or perhaps been an owner for a while and had a go at a couple of trips but want to learn more, then this is the place to start your own adventure! First Time Out offers a mid-week evening theory session that details important ownership issues, including operational differences between passenger cars and 4WDs and the activation/operation of the 4WD transmission.
Additionally there’ll be ample discussion time about trip planning and preparation and tyres, the most common cause of concern. This extensive evening session at our Collinswood classroom lays down a solid foundation for the practical, conducted usually on the following Saturday (see calendar).
The practical is a full day in the field at our property in the Barossa Valley, designed to build confidence in new drivers in readiness for tackling trails that are way Beyond the Bitumen. You’ll understand the importance of using the gearbox and 4WD range, engine braking and throttle control as well as vehicle positioning on the track, all whilst having a great time with your fellow attendees.
With confidence and with some skills emerging, we’ll venture into more challenging terrain, practice common vehicle breakdown and recovery situations and tackle other challenges with holiday safety in mind.
At day’s end you’ll have learnt tricks and techniques that would normally take years to accumulate, making you a competent and better aware driver both on and off the road!
- Take a look at ownership issues
- Discussion on destinations to journey to with travel guides included in your course pack
- Take a look at vehicle fit-out and improvement
- Practice with your own vehicle in genuinely difficult terrain
- Build confidence quickly and safely
- Learn proven recovery techniques, using the best equipment
- A 4WD, a high-clearance, dual-range 4WD wagon or ute with a half tank of fuel as a minimum
- If you haven’t got a vehicle give us a call about our preferred hire vehicle partners
- Your lunch and drinks (sorry no alcohol) or you can elect to buy lunch in Lyndoch during the break
- Clothing appropriate for the forecast conditions and closed footwear
- Hat, sunscreen and sunnies
- Don’t forget the video or camera!
- $485 per vehicle including up to 2 drivers (please leave the children at home, there’s lots to learn)
- RAA Members receive 10% off, just quote your membership number or use the coupon code RAA when Booking Online
- Book with Adventure 4WD (Phone 08 8342 0202 or Book Online)
- Ask about a gift voucher, it’s a great way to say you care!
Locations and Times (See Calendar For Scheduled Dates)
- Theory session, 45 North East Road, Collinswood (at bus stop 12 heading out from city)
- Theory session commences Wednesday evening 7.30pm and concludes 10.30pm, (arrive from 7.15pm on)
- Practical session, meet in the bus/car park adjacent to the Lyndoch Village Green, Barossa
- Valley Highway (in the main street opposite Kauffman Road), in Lyndoch
- Practical session commences Saturday morning 9.30am and concludes 4.30pm, (arrive from 9.00am on)